My Profile

My photo
I am on a journey, as are most people. My path splits: becoming who I am destined to be, and also sharing the truth of where I have been. I AM TRAVELING TO ME.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Celebrating the Parts of Me





I have to say, researching for one of my plays I'm currently writing has given me more inspiration to learn about my heritage (I hope you enjoy the above video I found on YouTube).  Not that I was unaware of the magnificent strength in my people before beginning the research, but I still yearned for more knowledge of where I came from.  

In order for my growth as a person -- or to direct this to others -- in order for someone to understand who they are, they should try and learn where they come from.  Needless to say, school books do nothing to give truth to those people -- MY people.  I, along with many others, learned from a young age what a "great man Columbus was."  And even at a young age, just as I was skeptical of the Easter bunny, so was I about Columbus and his discovery.  

Are we part of what people think?  Or are we part of those missing links?  And if those links are too difficult to decipher, then don't we still owe it to our ancestors to continue pushing their (our) stories?  I think we should.  I think we need to know who we come from.  And although each of us are comprised of many people, we need to understand and accept those facts.  

I AM A MULTIRACIAL PERSON.  I LOVE MY HERITAGE(S).  AND I WANT TO KNOW MORE.


I will continue to support and honor MY people. Why? Because my Native roots are stronger than those weapons used against my ancestors! I believe everyone has a chance to celebrate their culture, as long as we know the truth behind their stories.

We don't celebrate Black History Month by always focusing on slaves and murder, yet for some reason, Columbus Day takes place as if NOTHING EVER happened.

In history books (mind you it’s not actual “American” history) nonetheless, people are taught this tragic lie that we are made to believe; Thanksgiving, Christopher Columbus . . . It’s as if indigenous people appeared on a separate boat, and followed Columbus to shore . . . oh, and later on, they went for a walk, captured a few animals, and all came together and broke bread, as if it were the last supper. Mind you, for some, it was. Yeah, like that even makes any sense. But then again, you can do the calculation: How can an already inhabited land, whose people are native/indigenous, be discovered by a European, masking away as a pioneer of the Amerikas? And once you solve that, I’ll ask you this: If Columbus was there when our Native people were, then didn't he in fact, witness America, instead of discovering it?

Most people, who know me, know I am a political person, and I love to debate. I, however, never force my ideologies onto the next person, because it's not fair. I simply tell my thoughts, opinions, and facts, while encouraging others to form their own.


~Kyra C.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kyra, This was a beautiful post. I thought you'd might like to hear that my 9 year old son is not being taught that Columbus "discovered America--in school or in our house. I can only speak for our town in New Jersey which is pretty progressive. But the kids understand at least an overview of what Native Americans were subjected to by the third grade. Thought you'd be happy to hear that! Also, the video of the hoop dancer is simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Hayley! Thank you for checking out this post and also the others. I'm glad to hear that along with your son, other children are being taught some of the truth about America and its Natives, in schools and at home. I'm also happy you enjoyed the hoop dancer, too. :-)

    Take Care,

    ~Kyra C.

    ReplyDelete